While napping can be one of the highlights of the Sabbath, there are several other things that we can do to fully take advantage of this day.
“If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath, from doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight, the holy day of the Lord honorable, and shall honor Him, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words, then you shall delight yourself in the Lord; and I will cause you to ride on the high hills of the earth, and feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father. The mouth of the Lord has spoken.”
So, here are some ideas of how to delight in the Sabbath
- Listen/watch a sermon → YouTube is a great place to listen to a sermon about any topic you can think of. However, if you are wanting to listen to your favorite Adventist Pastor or a Specific message, Audio Verse is a great place to look.
- Do a Bible Study → Doing a Bible Study by yourself is a great idea to catch up on your spiritual life. Now, I am not encouraging that you slack on your daily devotional time, but if you have, dedicating a couple of hours to catch up on your daily readings is a great thing to do.
- Painting → I can relate to anyone who thinks they are not creative enough to do this. But painting something on a canvas while listening to christian music, can be very relaxing and entertaining.
- Journaling → This is a great exercise regardless of when you do it. However, by journaling on the Sabbath you are able to reflect on the past week, your spiritual life, and weekly or monthly goals.
- Go for a hike, walk, bike → although the weather has been kind of interesting lately, this is a great opportunity to catch a break from our busy lifestyle. Unplugging from the environment to which we are used to is a great way to reflect on life. Not only does being outside help us relax, but it eases our mind and allows us to connect with God.